I'm looking to switch to a simpler, smaller operating system. If you wrote or know of an OS with these features, please get in touch.
I want a system small enough that I can program everything in it.
- Written in under ~6K lines of C source code. I need to be able to understand and change the OS easily. Smaller is better.
I happen to use an x86-64 cpu. I'm willing to switch hardware.
- No users or groups.
- No POSIX interface. The smaller the API the better.
- Boot and run only one process: an application that I'll write.
- Multi-threading: I want to run multiple C functions in parallel. I prefer a SASOS, where all threads run in the same address space. I can guarantee threads can't corrupt each other.
- A way to send data to other computers. This doesn't necessarily mean writing network card drivers.
Could there be a network driver that works with all computers? Narrower is better: how about with only one USB-to-wifi card?
- No text editor. (I know I'll need one, but not in the OS.)
- No shell, no command-line utilities, no applications.
- Run in text mode by default.
- (Optional): a way to draw on the screen. It's ok if the OS works only in VGA mode.
- No window manager.
- (Optional): a way to read/write data. This doesn't necessarily mean a filesystem or a hard drive driver. It's ok if data are sent to other computers to be saved, or saved only on USB sticks.
- It must have testcases.